Saturday, February 9, 2008

Obama Sweeps 3 states and the Virgin Islands!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23068044/
What a facinating evening in a facinating primary season. Tonight, Barack won Washington state (by almost 2 to 1), Nebraska, and Louisiana as well as the 3 delegates from the Virgin Islands! The latest polls show Obama beating McCain in the potential general election by 7 points! The same polls show Hillary and McCain tied. This primary season is the fight for the presidency, it will be decided in Ohio and Texas largely. Obama's raising more money, attracting much larger crowds, and inspiring many first-time activists (yours truly included) into action recently. Momentum seems on our side right now, but there's a long way to go. The GREAT news from my perspective is that the longer people look at Obama, the more they like him. The longer this stays neck-in-neck, the better it favors Obama. "We should never negotiate out of fear, but we should never fear to negotiate"-Obama quoting Kennedy tonight. How's that for the backbone of a foreign policy? He could go head-to-head with McCain on foreign policy all day long. "I have to admit I talk about hope alot, I have to, the chances of me being here were not very good...but lets be clear, this is not blind optimism...I've seen how our country's judgement has been clouded from time-to-time by fear...hope is imagining and fighting for what before didn't seem possible...it is time to shed the cynicism that is too often mistaken for wisdom" He speaks of possibility, of transformation, and for those that criticize his lack of substance, check out his speech tonight where he gets very specific about health care, energy policy, foreign policy, and other issues. He is very specific about being better against McCain, and distinguishes himself clearly from Hillary on multiple issues. Its a good night to be in Obama's corner. I'm holding the feeling of tonight's minor victory and projecting it on to the convention, and later the November general election and inauguration. I'm visualizing..."I, Barack Obama, do solemnly swear to uphold the..." Is that going too far? I'm shedding superstition on this one, and I'm definately not going to be cynical for the sake of being wise or "right" in the end. See, he's already inspired me to clearly rebute cynicism in my thinking, and he's only stopped speaking 8 minutes ago and is still shaking hands. Powerful, inspiring dude, I think he's the bomb. Is he perfect? absolutely not. Could he be more centrist (right) as president than I would like? possibly, but I can live with a balance of pragmatic compromise and visionary leadership that I think he will bring.

No comments: